skip to content

Knowledge Base

Where can I find funding for personal expenses?

Most forms of assistance for housingmedical bills, or other personal expenses such as debt relief will come from charitable organizations or government assistance programs, rather than grants from foundations. Foundation grants are generally awarded to nonprofit organizations with 501(c)(3) status. Those that give grants to individuals typically do so to help pay for education, or to support artistic or research projects.

The Foundation Center does not give grants, make referrals to specific funders, or approach them on anyone’s behalf. 

If you need funds urgently, more immediate resources for funding may be available in your area, including government agencies, local organizations, and gifts or loans from generous individuals. You might also contact your elected officials to ask about government-sponsored or other programs for which you may be eligible.

See our related Knowledge Base articles:

Where can I find help with emergency housing costs?
How can we raise money for a single individual or family in need?
- How can I find funding for seniors, veterans, or people with disabilities?
Where can I find help with medical bills?

More articles for individual grantseekers»

The following websites offer additional information or assistance.

Web Sites

* indicates staff pick

Rate Content

You don't have access to rate this page.

Log in or create a user account to rate this page.

Average Rating (1 votes cast):
  • Currently 4 out of 5 Stars.

Thank you for rating!

You have already rated this page, you can only rate it once!

Your rating has been changed, thanks for rating!